Frequently Asked Questions:

Child Care Assistance Program

General FAQs

How long does it take for a new Child Care Application to get approved?

It takes approximately 12 business days from the date we receive a COMPLETE child care application for the application to be processed. Once the application is processed, the client and provider will be notified with either an approval, a denial, or a request for additional information. A COMPLETE application means that the application is completely filled out, including signatures, and all documents needed to verify school enrollment or employment have been submitted.

Can you explain the billing process?

  1. Your provider fills out the monthly child care certificate and then mails it to or drops it off at the CCR&R office. 
  2. CCR&R Support Specialists receive the billing certificate and enter it into the system within five business days.
  3. The information is then transferred to the voucher unit in Springfield.
  4. The voucher unit reviews and confirms the information.
  5. The information is then transferred to the Comptroller’s office.
  6. The Comptroller’s office prints, cuts, and mails the checks.

The entire process can take as long as 30 days.

Call 309-205-3070 Option 2 to speak to a CCAP Eligibility Specialist for more payment information or call (800) 804-3833 for IDHS payment availablility (IDHS payment line information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

What is the difference between full-time and part-time care?

Full-time care is child care provided for five hours or more a day. Part-time care is child care provided for less than five hours a day.

Parent Specific FAQs

What check stubs are needed?

Clients must submit two check stubs that are 60 or few days old from the date a child care form (application, redetermination, change of information) is received to verify earning. If more than two check stubs are submitted we will use the most recent. These stubs do not need to be consecutive. MORE INFORMATION ON INCOME VERIFICATION

What can I do if I am found over income?

The person who is found to be over income needs to call (309) 205-3070 Option 2 to speak to a CCAP Eligibility Specialist. If it is determined that the parent may be eligible based on new income information then the parent will be instructed to send in two new, current pay stubs along with a written request for the income to be re-calculated. There is no need for a redetermination to be completed. If 30 days have passed since the denial, the parent will need to re-apply for the program.

How many days do I have to notify you if I lose my job?

Within 30 days of employment break you must notify our office of a job loss. If you are requesting assistance for child care for job search activities please call to speak with a CCAP Eligibility Specialist for more information. 

What should I do if I cancel out a provider and add a new one?

Please contact a CCAP Eligibility Specialist at (309) 205-3090 Option 2 if you are canceling care arrangements with a provider and/or changing child care providers.

Who gets the co-payment when I have two providers?

The provider receiving the largest reimbursement is the provider who should receive the co-payment amount from the parent.

Provider Specific FAQs

What is the Child Care Telephone Billing System?

The IDHS Child Care Telephone Billing system is an alternative to mailing the Child Care Certificate to the local CCR&R at the end of the month. Please contact our office to request more information on this service or to receive a Telephone Billing system start-up package..                                          

To learn more about Telephone Billing System please go to

If a provider has already completed a W9 form once, will they ever have to do it again?

Yes, even if you have submitted a W9 form you may have to submit a new one. Circumstances in which you may need to submit a new W9 form include, but are not limited to: name change, changes in a tax identificaton number, changes in the status of a business. If you are unsure if you need to complete a new form please contact our office with any questions. 

Download a copy of the W9 form here.

Are taxes deducted from payments?

No, providers are considered self-employed. At the end of the year they will receive a 1099 form, which will report their earnings for the year. This information must be used to report income on their tax return.

How should a provider bill for care if the information on the certificate does not match the child’s schedule?

Always bill for the actual days the child(ren) attended. If the attended days do not match the eligible days, you must write an explanation on the certificate. If a child attended more days because a parent worked extra, the parent’s time sheets are required as well. Remember, if the parent’s schedule has changed, the parent must notify the CCR&R so the eligible days can be updated.

Can I have the state automatically take taxes out of my monthly checks?


What methods of payment are available for providers?

Providers may be paid by paper check, direct deposit, or debit card. To find out which payment methods you may be eligible for, call the CCAP office at (309) 205-3070 Option 2.

What is the Illinois Debit Card for Providers?

The Illinois Debit MasterCard is a fast, convenient and secure method of receiving your payments. IDHS offers this program for licensed and licensed-exempt home child care providers.  Go to to get started.

How do I get direct deposit of payment set up with my bank account?

Direct Deposit is an effective and proven financial transaction method that offers security, efficiency and convenience to the payment process.  Direct Deposit is safer, more cost effective and more reliable compared to traditional paper checks and mail delivery. Provider must call the Illinois Office of the Comptroller at 217-557-0930 in order to have CCAP payments deposited directly into a savings or checking account.

Why was there money taken out of my check?

Each case is assigned a ‘co-payment’ which the parent is responsible for paying to the provider. This amount is automatically deducted from the provider's check before the check is issued.

Can I charge the parent more than what the state will pay?

A provider can charge the parent the same amount as they charge their private pay clients – however the state will only pay the maximum amount set by the state for that geographic area. For more information on payment rates for your area please visit the IDHS links below. 

IDHS Payment Rates for Child Care Centers

IDHS Payment Rates for Child Care Homes

When can I expect my Child Care Certificate?

If your client is approved, you should receive your Child Care Billing Certificate by the end of the month that care is provided. You may return a completed certificate beginning the first day of the following month. Any certificates received before the first day of the following month will not be accepted and will be returned to you.

Why was I not paid for the number of days I listed on my Billing Certificate?

The eligible days are based on the client’s check stubs and the number of hours the client works. If you claim more days than they are approved for, you will not be paid for the extra days unless the client can submit documentation of additional days worked.

Whom do I call if I have additional questions or need more information?

Parents and providers should call the Child Care Assistance Program at (309) 205-3070 Option 2 or Toll Free at (866) 370-4556 with any questions or for more information about specific cases.  When you call, please have the parent’s name and case number available and have any forms or letters with you that you are calling about.